Please consider filling out an application before setting up an appointment or coming by the shelter. We are open to the public, but it makes the process much quicker if you fill out an application first.
The first step to adopting any pet from SVASC is to submit an application. You can do this prior to coming to the shelter, or you can fill out an application in person at the shelter. Online applications can be found on the relevant adoptable animal’s page. The application module will not work on a cellular device. If you are unable to complete an application online, we have paper copies available at the shelter that can be picked up during normal business hours or we can email/snail mail you a copy. At this time we are unable to guarantee that an adoption can be done same-day unless you already have an approved application on file with the shelter.
At times we do have animals available for adoption at our local Petsmart store in Waynesboro, VA. If you are interested in adopting any of these animals you will need to first submit your adoption application online or in person at the shelter. Once a staff member has reviewed and approved your application we will be in touch with the next steps.
Important things to note:
- We typically receive multiple applications per animal and staff take pride in ensuring the adoption is in the best interest of both the animal and applicant. Submitting an application indicates interest, and does not place the animal on hold. We are unable to offer a waiting list for animals in our care.
- One application is valid for any animal(s) in our facility. Please do not submit more than one application.
- You can apply for a specific animal by name or simply get “pre-approved” to make the adoption process quicker in the near future.
- Once approved, applications are valid for six months.
- We do adopt to out-of-area homes. We will not ship a pet.
- If you already have a dog(s) and are interested in adopting another dog, we strongly encourage dog introductions at the shelter prior to adoption.
Every shelter has its own policies and procedures. We encourage you to look through our FAQs and see if your question can be answered there.